The National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT) awarded Prologis its 2017 Industrial Leader in the Light for the sixth consecutive year. NAREIT is the worldwide representative voice for REITs and listed real estate companies with an interest in U.S. real estate and capital markets. The award, which honors companies with superior sustainability initiatives and portfolio-wide energy use practices, is the highest sustainability recognition in the REIT industry. One winner in the industrial sector is chosen from small- and large-cap companies.
Here are six reasons why Prologis has won this prestigious award six years in a row:
1. 165 megawatts of solar energy generating capacity:
- Prologis has the third-largest installed solar capacity in the U.S. behind Walmart and Target.
2. 233 sustainable building certifications across the globe:
- In 2016, Prologis added 54 certified projects comprising 17 million square feet, a 34.7 percent increase from the previous year.
3. 78 percent efficient lighting in our operating portfolio:
- Because lighting is one of the largest utility expenses in a warehouse, replacing older fixtures with newer, more efficient fittings significantly reduces electricity bills and minimizes the carbon footprint of an industrial warehouse.
4. Cool roofing in 36 percent of our operating portfolio:
- Reflective roofs lower operating costs by reducing energy use in air-conditioned spaces while creating a more comfortable work environment.
5. Achieving our corporate GHG reduction goal four years ahead of schedule:
- Prologis has realized a 22-percent decrease in Scope 1 and 2 emissions since 2011.
6. Exceptional corporate volunteerism and giving, including:
- Donating 10,420 volunteer hours to local communities.
- Awarding $1.6 million in grants to support local causes and charitable organizations.
- Giving 82 months of rent-free space to local nonprofits.
See our Sustainability section to learn more about Prologis’ commitment to building a more sustainable world.